- Congressman Mooney introduced the Firearms Interstate Commerce Reform Act along with Congressman Steve Scalise (R-LA). This bill would remove unnecessary burdens on law-abiding gun owners and improve the ability for members of our military to exercise our Second Amendment rights.
Specifically, the bill would do the following:
- Licensed dealers to transfer firearms (rifles, shotguns and handguns) to out-of-state buyers so long as the transaction complies with the laws of the state of both the transferor and the transferee.
- Licensed dealers to sell firearms at out-of-state gun shows provided that the laws of the state of both the transferor and the transferee are complied with.
- For face-to-face transfer of firearms between licensed dealers. Currently dealers must ship a firearm, significantly increasing the risk of theft in the process.
- Members of the Armed forces and their spouses to purchase firearms as residents of their state of legal residence, the state in which their permanent duty station is located, and the state in which they maintain a residence while serving at their permanent duty station. Currently, members of the Armed Forces may only purchase firearms as residents of the state in which their permanent duty station is located.
- Congressman Mooney is a cosponsor on many important bills that protect the Second Amendment, including:
- Hunting Bills:
- H.R. 3799- Hearing Protection Act of 2015
- H.R. 2710- Lawful Purpose and Self Defense Act
- H.R. 578- Recreational Lands Self Defense Act
- Concealed Carry Reciprocity:
- H.R.923-Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act
- H.R. 986-Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2015
- H.R. 4348- DC Personal Reciprocity Act
- H.R. 3802- Alternative Ammunition Manufacturing Act
- H.R. 3516-Social Security Beneficiary 2nd Amendment Rights Protection Act
- H.R. 2611- Collectible Firearms Protection Act
- Hunting Bills:
- Congressman Mooney sent a letter, along with a group of other Members, asking the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms to stop its efforts to ban certain ammunition used for hunting and other purposes. Following receipt of the letter, ATF abandoned this effort.
For more information concerning work and views related to Second Amendment, please contact our office.
More on Second Amendment
Congressman Alex X. Mooney Votes to Protect the Second Amendment
Today, Congressman Alex X. Mooney (WV-2) voted in favor of H.R. 38, the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act to ensure that law abiding gun owners can transport their weapons across state lines. Congressman Mooney is also a cosponsor of the bill and released the following statement:
“When I was elected to serve the people of the Second District of West Virginia, I made a promise to my constituents that I would protect their Second Amendment rights. Today’s vote is a fulfilment of that promise.
MARTINSBURG — U.S. Rep. Alex Mooney, R-Charles Town, says he’s all ears to hear what his constituents have to say.
To that end, Mooney listened to questions and complaints in a one-hour “telephone town hall meeting “ conducted on Tuesday. Mooney fielded questions from residents living in the 17 counties he represents on topics ranging from health care, to jobs to illegal immigration, to opioid addiction to taxes.
Mooney represents West Virginia’s 2nd District.
WASHINGTON D.C. –Today, Congressman Alex X. Mooney released the following statement in response to President Donald Trump’s first address to Congress.
“Tonight, President Trump laid out an optimistic agenda that will change America for the better. I am pleased that President Trump is keeping the promises he made to voters in November. I look forward to continuing to work with President Trump to bring back jobs to communities that have been devastated by the past eight years of former President Obama,” said Rep. Alex Mooney.
WASHINGTON, D.C. –Yesterday evening, Congressman Alex X. Mooney hosted a telephone town hall meeting with XXX constituents from the Second Congressional District.
“Telephone town hall meetings allow me to hear input and answer questions from constituents in all 17 counties, from Harpers Ferry to Hurricane, spanning 343 miles across West Virginia. I appreciate hearing the passion and views from my constituents during our productive issue based discussions.
WASHINGTON, DC – Today, Congressman Alex X. Mooney issued the following statement in reaction to President Obama’s proposed executive actions on guns:
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Republican Congressman Alex Mooney (WV-2) released the following statement this afternoon about the passage of H.R. 2685, the Fiscal Year 2016 Defense Appropriations bill.
"I was proud to vote for the 2016 Defense Appropriations bill. This bill lets our military know that we fully support them. It ensures that our military remains the strongest and most skilled military in the world. It increases funding for all key Defense accounts and gives our troops the pay raise and recognition that they so deserve.
WASHINGTON, D.C. - House Majority Whip Steve Scalise (R-La.) and Rep. Alex Mooney (R-WV.) recently introduced The Firearms Interstate Commerce Reform Act, a bill to remove statutory burdens on law-abiding gun owners and improve the legal firearm purchase process for active-duty military and law-abiding U.S. citizens.