- Congressman Mooney introduced H.R.816, the Life at Conception Act, which will undo the Supreme Court’s 1973 Roe v. Wade decision and define that life does indeed begin at the moment of conception. The Life at Conception Act currently has 134 bipartisan cosponsors. This legislation is critically important since in the infamous Roe v. Wade decisions the court ruled that since life had not been defined, it could not protect it under the 14th amendment.
- Congressman Mooney is adamant that taxpayers should not pay for abortions. He has cosponsored H.R. 7, the No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion and Abortion Full Disclosure Act of 2015 which ensures that tax dollars do not pay for abortions and requires the Affordable Care Act to offer insurance plans that do not cover abortion procedures. That bill passed the House by a bipartisan vote of 242-179.
- After learning of the horrific practices of Planned Parenthood, Congressman Mooney cosponsored H.R. 3134, the Defund Planned Parenthood Act of 2015 which prohibits federal funding for Planned Parenthood for one year until a full Congressional investigation into their practices can be completed. This bill passed the full House by a vote of 241-187. He also cosponsored the End Trafficking of the Terminated Unborn Act (H.R. 3215) which would ban the sale of fetal tissue for profit.
- Congressman Mooney introduced the bipartisan H.Res. 514-Protecting Religious Freedom in America. This resolution protects all Americans’ right to act in accordance with their sincerely held religious beliefs. Furthermore, it condemns any action by federal, state, or local governments that attempt to abridge that right.
- This resolution is supported by the Family Research Council, the American Center for Law and Justice, and the Liberty Institute.
- Congressman Mooney also fights for religious freedom abroad. He is a cosponsor of H.Con.Res.75, a resolution that expresses the sense of Congress that atrocities against Christians, Yazidis, Kurds and other religious minorities for ethnic or religious reasons should be considered war crimes, crimes against humanity, and genocide.
- Congressman Mooney is a cosponsor of the First Amendment Defense Act, H.R. 2802, which would keep the federal government from discriminating against anyone who believes or acts in accordance with the belief that marriage is the union of one man and one woman.
- Congressman Mooney is a cosponsor of H.R. 1882- Hearing Aid Assistance Tax Credit Act.
- Congressman Mooney is a cosponsor of the Senior Citizens Tax Elimination Act. This bill would keep Social Security benefits from being taxed twice, keeping more money in our seniors’ pockets.
- The Congressman also signed a letter to protect Medicare Advantage from cuts by the Obama Administration.
For more information concerning work and views related to Family Values, please contact our office.
More on Family Values
WASHINGTON D.C. –Republican Congressman Alex X. Mooney (WV-2) introduced H.R. # the Life at Conception Act of 2017.
WASHINGTON D.C. – Republican Congressman Alex X. Mooney (WV-2) released the following statement about the inauguration of President Donald J. Trump:
WASHINGTON D.C. – Today, Congressman Alex X. Mooney addressed the U.S. House of Representatives on the floor about the recent flooding in West Virginia.
WASHINGTON, D.C. — Two West Virginia congressman told the U.S. House they believe the state will bounce back from the devastating floods.
“We will repair our schools, restock our library shelves, repave our roads and reconstruct our bridges. We will be there for each other,” said Third District Congressman Evan Jenkins (R-W.Va.).
“Recovery is not a question, but a certainty,” said Second District Congressman Alex Mooney (R-W.Va.).
WASHINGTON, D.C. - U.S. Sens. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., and Shelley Moore Capito, R-W.Va., along with U.S. Reps. David McKinley, Alex Mooney and Evan Jenkins, sent a letter to President Barack Obama to express their full support for Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin's new request to expand the major disaster declaration to include Clay, Fayette, Monroe, Pocahontas, Roane, Summers and Webster counties.
HARPERS FERRY - Months after an early morning fire left several businesses in Harpers Ferry with extensive damage, Rep. Alex Mooney, R-W.Va., came to the historic town Monday afternoon to talk with the mayor, council members and business owners about the progress of repair.
"It's important that I come here while the renovation is still in progress," Mooney said. "It was a good experience, and I will be happy to advocate for projects moving forward."
WASHINGTON D.C. – Today, Congressman Alex X. Mooney introduced his resolution H.Res. 514, Protecting Religious Freedom in America.
WASHINGTON D.C. - Today, Congressman Alex X. Mooney spoke on the floor of the House of Representatives to call for the sanctity of all human life and to encourage his colleagues in the House to co-sponsor H.R. 816, the Life at Conception Act.
WASHINGTON D.C. - Yesterday, Congressman Alex X. Mooney spoke on the floor of the House of Representatives to voice his support of H.R. 3134, the Defund Planned Parenthood Act. This act would prohibit the funding of Planned Parenthood for a year to allow a full Congressional investigation to take place.
WASHINGTON, DC – Today, Republican Congressman Alex Mooney (WV-2) spoke on the House floor in support of the Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act. The bill outlaws most abortions after 20 weeks when scientific consensus says unborn babies feel excruciating pain.
“This legislation shouldn’t be controversial,” said Mooney. “It simply protects unborn babies that a preponderance of scientific evidence has proven can feel pain. A clear majority of Americans and West Virginians support this ban.”