- Congressman Mooney introduced H.R.816, the Life at Conception Act, which will undo the Supreme Court’s 1973 Roe v. Wade decision and define that life does indeed begin at the moment of conception. The Life at Conception Act currently has 134 bipartisan cosponsors. This legislation is critically important since in the infamous Roe v. Wade decisions the court ruled that since life had not been defined, it could not protect it under the 14th amendment.
- Congressman Mooney is adamant that taxpayers should not pay for abortions. He has cosponsored H.R. 7, the No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion and Abortion Full Disclosure Act of 2015 which ensures that tax dollars do not pay for abortions and requires the Affordable Care Act to offer insurance plans that do not cover abortion procedures. That bill passed the House by a bipartisan vote of 242-179.
- After learning of the horrific practices of Planned Parenthood, Congressman Mooney cosponsored H.R. 3134, the Defund Planned Parenthood Act of 2015 which prohibits federal funding for Planned Parenthood for one year until a full Congressional investigation into their practices can be completed. This bill passed the full House by a vote of 241-187. He also cosponsored the End Trafficking of the Terminated Unborn Act (H.R. 3215) which would ban the sale of fetal tissue for profit.
- Congressman Mooney introduced the bipartisan H.Res. 514-Protecting Religious Freedom in America. This resolution protects all Americans’ right to act in accordance with their sincerely held religious beliefs. Furthermore, it condemns any action by federal, state, or local governments that attempt to abridge that right.
- This resolution is supported by the Family Research Council, the American Center for Law and Justice, and the Liberty Institute.
- Congressman Mooney also fights for religious freedom abroad. He is a cosponsor of H.Con.Res.75, a resolution that expresses the sense of Congress that atrocities against Christians, Yazidis, Kurds and other religious minorities for ethnic or religious reasons should be considered war crimes, crimes against humanity, and genocide.
- Congressman Mooney is a cosponsor of the First Amendment Defense Act, H.R. 2802, which would keep the federal government from discriminating against anyone who believes or acts in accordance with the belief that marriage is the union of one man and one woman.
- Congressman Mooney is a cosponsor of H.R. 1882- Hearing Aid Assistance Tax Credit Act.
- Congressman Mooney is a cosponsor of the Senior Citizens Tax Elimination Act. This bill would keep Social Security benefits from being taxed twice, keeping more money in our seniors’ pockets.
- The Congressman also signed a letter to protect Medicare Advantage from cuts by the Obama Administration.
For more information concerning work and views related to Family Values, please contact our office.
More on Family Values
Congressman Alex X. Mooney (WV-02) Praises Passage of Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act
Washington, DC - Today, Congressman Alex Mooney (WV-02) praised the passage of H.R. 36, the Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act:
“Today, I was proud to vote to end the horrific act of abortion after 20-weeks when science has proven an unborn fetus can feel pain.
When I ran for Congress, I made a commitment to the people of the Second Congressional District of West Virginia that I would do everything in my power to defend the unborn.
WASHINGTON D.C. –Today, Congressman Alex X. Mooney released the following statement in response to President Donald Trump’s first address to Congress.
“Tonight, President Trump laid out an optimistic agenda that will change America for the better. I am pleased that President Trump is keeping the promises he made to voters in November. I look forward to continuing to work with President Trump to bring back jobs to communities that have been devastated by the past eight years of former President Obama,” said Rep. Alex Mooney.
WASHINGTON, D.C. –Yesterday evening, Congressman Alex X. Mooney hosted a telephone town hall meeting with XXX constituents from the Second Congressional District.
“Telephone town hall meetings allow me to hear input and answer questions from constituents in all 17 counties, from Harpers Ferry to Hurricane, spanning 343 miles across West Virginia. I appreciate hearing the passion and views from my constituents during our productive issue based discussions.
WASHINGTON D.C. –Republican Congressman Alex X. Mooney (WV-2) introduced H.R. # the Life at Conception Act of 2017.
WASHINGTON D.C. – Republican Congressman Alex X. Mooney (WV-2) released the following statement about the inauguration of President Donald J. Trump:
WASHINGTON D.C. – Today, Congressman Alex X. Mooney addressed the U.S. House of Representatives on the floor about the recent flooding in West Virginia.
WASHINGTON, D.C. — Two West Virginia congressman told the U.S. House they believe the state will bounce back from the devastating floods.
“We will repair our schools, restock our library shelves, repave our roads and reconstruct our bridges. We will be there for each other,” said Third District Congressman Evan Jenkins (R-W.Va.).
“Recovery is not a question, but a certainty,” said Second District Congressman Alex Mooney (R-W.Va.).
WASHINGTON, D.C. - U.S. Sens. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., and Shelley Moore Capito, R-W.Va., along with U.S. Reps. David McKinley, Alex Mooney and Evan Jenkins, sent a letter to President Barack Obama to express their full support for Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin's new request to expand the major disaster declaration to include Clay, Fayette, Monroe, Pocahontas, Roane, Summers and Webster counties.
HARPERS FERRY - Months after an early morning fire left several businesses in Harpers Ferry with extensive damage, Rep. Alex Mooney, R-W.Va., came to the historic town Monday afternoon to talk with the mayor, council members and business owners about the progress of repair.
"It's important that I come here while the renovation is still in progress," Mooney said. "It was a good experience, and I will be happy to advocate for projects moving forward."
WASHINGTON D.C. – Today, Congressman Alex X. Mooney introduced his resolution H.Res. 514, Protecting Religious Freedom in America.